Monday, November 16, 2009

Mid November Excitement

Hey everyone!

Well, this week was ok for the most part. I went on exchanges and went up to Houghton again on Tuesday and Wednesday and that was pretty sweet. Exchanges are always alot of fun. Not only do you get to serve with another companion (i love mine, don't get me wrong) for a day, but you get to see how they do things differently and better in their areas. So it helps us to be able to incorporate some of that into our areas. But, you remember what's in Houghton right? One HUGE cinnamon roll!! And guess what? I finished it this time!! Round 2 was worth it for sure. Lets not talk about the calories in that thing though… But I learned some good things up there with our district leader Elder Ross. We tried to incorporate things we learned from those elders the rest of our week but we got a little distracted by other trials and challenges unfortunately…

But before I get into that, I’ll talk about some good stuff first We tracted quite a bit this week. We had some sound rejections and some not so cool people that we talked to. That’s ok, we still found one diamond in the rough. We knocked into a lady who had a pretty huge yard and had a bunch of yard clippings and leaves and stuff that she needed to take to the compost pile before 6 and it was 5:30, so we helped her out and loaded everything into her truck, suits on and all. We got pretty dirty, but it was sweet. And she loved us so we are going to go back soon and talk to her and her family. Perfect Mormons though for sure. We also had a sweet lesson with our investigator Brandy and her fiancĂ© Shaun. They love us, they feed us, and they love learning about the gospel. I’m so bummed that they’re moving though. But we’ll make them all ripe and golden for the elders down in Tennessee because we’re nice like that.

Alright, so the bummer part of our week…Zach is going through a very hard time right now. I’ll just leave it at that. PLEASE keep him in your prayers though. He is struggling with past problems and is just going through a hard time in life right now in general. We did teach him about temples though later this past week. He is a super bright guy and loves learning about the gospel. It just breaks my heart to see him struggling. But him and his family were all there at church yesterday, even on opening day of deer season! So I was thrilled about that. Bishop is also talking to him about working with the young men, which would be amazing for him. He needs something like that.

We didn’t see Ashley or Ben all week unfortunately. Ben is a trucker and is gone usually about 5 days of the week. So that creates a very difficult teaching situation. We may just have to start teaching Ashley singley. We don’t really know, but we’re going to talk to Pres. Barrett about that. They’re awesome people, I don’t want to have these guys slip through our fingers. They weren’t at church though, so that’s a bummer. Basically, here in Marquette right now, we have SO much potential going on. We just can’t them from a “potential” investigator to a “real” investigator. So RM’s reading this, any sweet ideas, write me! We’re trying our hardest and best though. It’s part of the work though I guess. I’m not letting it get me down, nothing happens when you’re sad and depressed and lacking faith. So, I’m not going to be a bum like that.

We visited several less actives and recent converts this week too. It’s always good to see a less active you haven’t seen in ages and help him feel Christ’s love again and see it working on them. Pretty much, I love being a missionary! There is probably nothing in my life so far that I have felt so good about doing every single day. Serving the Lord is so awesome. Helping members learn how to serve is awesome too. We’re the full time teachers, all the members are the full time finders! So we emphasize that whenever we are in member homes. Usually they respond well and hand us a few referrals the next time we see them.

This week has flown by, lots of things have happened. We did spend a lot of time with Zach though, trying to help him out, so that’s where we spent a few hours of the week. We also are going to start teaching Zach’s brother. He expressed interest and asked us to come by! So, good things still do, well always, come out of bad situations I’ve learned.

Sorry this letter is shorter than the past, but in all seriousness, this week has been a great learning experience for me and I hope I helped somebody who reads this letter in some way or another. I love being a missionary and I love my family, I love my friends, and I love my Heavenly Father. I thank you all so much for your love, support, compassion, letters, random packages, and everything. I don’t think I could’ve asked for a better life. I love my Heavenly Father so much and I thank him for putting all of you in my life.

Love,
Elder Kissell

Pictures

1. Little kids love me!

2. Round 2

3. I did it!

4. Look at the sign!

No comments:

Post a Comment